Monday, March 21, 2005

Music Recommendations Week 21/03/05

Sure, this week is meant to be all about motherfreaking rock (with the new Queens of the Stone Age and Beck releases) but we all need a balance. A bit more than usual thanks to amazing new releases, here's something for the "acoustica-minded".


Sufjan Stevens - Seven Swans
How can anyone not love Sufjan Stevens? Perfect couldn't even begin to describe the brilliance that is Seven Swans. Go buy the album, go see him live, go download this mp3, JUST GO!
Official Website
Download track #6: Sister (2.8MB) via InSound


Brendan Benson - Alternative To Love
Everyone's raving about Brendan Benson, so I decided to give his album a spin. A few spins later, I am kicking myself for not getting into his music earlier (only when the hype started). Sing-a-long to his infectious songs and go download one of the tracks from his new album.
Official Website
Download track #5: The Pledge (2.7MB) via InSound


Devin Davis - Lonely People of the World, Unite!
Firstly, I would like to thank *6eyes for the tip. Without him even describing him as Ted Leo-esque, I probably wouldn't have noticed (I'm a huge fan of Ted Leo). Chicago's Devin Davis is catchy pop-rock that makes you feel good, but also sad for the loneliness he sings about in this great debut.
Official Website
Download track #3: Turtle And The Flightless Bird (4.3MB) via his official website.

Featured "past" music recommendations:

Your Black Star - Split EP with Drum:Kan
I had the honour of catching this band during their Australian tour last year with Japanese pop-punk outfit, Drum:Kan and I fell in love with their music. I've never heard of them before and was just blown away by their beautiful melodies, amazing lyrics and lead singer, Jeremy Johnson's, voice. This brilliant three-piece band (also includes Andrew Osborn and ex-Elliott, Kevin Ratterman) from Louisville, Kentucky are so good and definitely underrated so go download my favourite track and check. them. out.
Official Website (Your Black Star)
Official Website (Drum:Kan)
Download track #1: Lousy Smarch Weather (3.5MB) via PureVolume


Sufjan Stevens - A Sun Came
Yes, there is two Sufjan Stevens recommendations. Why? Because as much as I love his current release, Seven Swans, something about A Sun Came I adore a lot more. One of my favourite albums right now, its just pure, beautiful, perfect acoustica and no one should miss out on that.
Official Website
Download track #2: A Winner Needs A Wand (5.3MB) via InSound

2 Comments:

Blogger Alan Williamson said...

noranna, you are very welcome. glad you like the devin davis track and i hope you visit again.

alan w/*sixeyes

11:32 am

 
Blogger Noranna said...

Of course, I love your website/blog :)

12:01 pm

 

Post a Comment

<< Home